This church was previously known as Christ Akatalepsos Church. But in 1966 during renovation,two frescoes of the Mother of God, Kyriotissa with inscriptions were found.
This is the fourth building on the site : A roman bath ( which was close to the aqqueduct)was the first use,replaced in the late 6 th century by a small basilica. A second church was added to the south side in the 7 th century. The present church was erected in its place reusing the main apse and parts of the outer narthex.During the Roman occupation after 1204,it probably served as a Dominican monastry and was decorated with one of the oldest known fresco cycles about the life of St. Francis of Assisi.